Galactica Quorum Message Board Index Galactica Quorum
Galactica Quorum Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Galactica Quorum Message Board Index -> Terminator
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkeyking1969
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Opinions of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Season Reply with quote

I have to say I just watched the first show for this season last night (2/27/09), so I must have missed a few episodes. But I actually liked the episode I saw of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and though it was very well written, but maybe a bit dry. On the other hand a bit dry is better then the plots of Dollhouse which seems a bit vapid.

I have to say I watch the episode because I wanted to see Dollhouse, but after watching both shows I felt like T:SCC was a far better show. I must admit I watch the first season and then lost the thread somewhere along the line so I missed the second season, or the first part of season two.

Like I said I've been out of the loop is T:SCC any good on the balance or did I just see a decent episode by coincidence?
parsnip1981
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah connor is either brilliant or very odd to me. There were 3 consecutive episodes at the start of this season which i thought were sensational, however its not been as good since.
brian
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm several episodes behind right now. I agree, sometimes the show is good, sometimes I think it's just off.

Once BSG ends I'll have time to catch up a bit. Spending 8-10 hours a week working on a podcast tends to limit TV viewing time.
parsnip1981
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine, at the moment i think there is too much on! How is one meant to keep up with all the episodes, the repective podcasts, the forums, and still get into work on occasion! Its a hard life!..
Monkeyking1969
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched ep. 6-12 on Hulu, and I think the damn shows is brilliant. I think it is my favorite show right now, it may turn to crap from 13 to 15 but I doubt it. Season 2 without a doubt impresses me more now then the season one did in early 2008.

The show never has those BIG event nights like BSG has shown us, but I noticed after watching six episodes in a row that the show is smarter and more evenly written. That might be what I like, it is not flashy but it is the smartly written sci-fi. They also don't back peddle because they made some plot mistake like BSG does ...ALL THE TIME.

The Show seems to developer its story slower which is great in many respects because the show can be subtle and slowly tell you information. That might make it harder to watch weekly unless you have a good memory. Yet, it is nice that the show trusts people to follow along without handholding.[/i]
jwj170104
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about one step away from breaking up with the show. Let me put it in terms the Quorum would understand. Lately the episodes make me think that The Women King is the Citizen Kane of BSG episodes.

I'm really glad that others are enjoying the new season but I'm confused as heck and don't understand what story they are trying to tell.

Jesse Jackson
Monkeyking1969
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwj170104 wrote:
]

I'm really glad that others are enjoying the new season but I'm confused as heck and don't understand what story they are trying to tell.

Maybe it is better if you see it three or four episodes at a time, which is how I watched it. I just queued it all up on Hulu and watched three episodes a day for a few days. Even so I am finding the current episodes that I'm watching weekly are very interesting on their own.

The show builds things very slowly, but I like that because it doesn't dump or complete whole storylines in just a few shows you need to watch for months to see how it works out. [SPOILER] It took five or six shows to even figure out Johns girlfriend was from the future. On any other show they would have never kept that secret that long...most shows are too impatient.
brian
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still VERY far behind... I plan on catching up when BSG ends and I can take a breath. I will say that the show took a big hit with me when [spoiler] John's girlfriend (although they hardly seemed to be really boyfriend/girlfriend like normal horny teens would be, but whatever) turned out to be a future soldier.[/spoiler] I thought that was really lame.
parsnip1981
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i felt that was a bit stupid as well. I also think the show has struggled ever since cromartie became the voice of the computer and not an actual physical threatening presence.

It all seems a bit too easy for them at the moment.
parsnip1981
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emmm, well i feel the need to alter my previous stance a bit.

I think now that the sarah internal mind arc was not good, and now that has ended, we saw a definite return to the form with the most recent episode.

It was nice to see the future again, though the submarine bit felt a bit odd. Though the tease with the underwater terminator was nice, even if it echoed the matrix a bit with the things that chased the neba.
Monkeyking1969
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
I am still VERY far behind... I plan on catching up when BSG ends and I can take a breath. I will say that the show took a big hit with me when [spoiler] John's girlfriend (although they hardly seemed to be really boyfriend/girlfriend like normal horny teens would be, but whatever) turned out to be a future soldier.[/spoiler] I thought that was really lame.

So you mean the show took a bit of a hit when they were less on the run? Well, okay I can see that, but I think the girlfriend from the future bit was well done. They hid that she was from the future well, and sorry to correct you but she ‘wasn't a soldier from the future’ she was a scavenger living off the scraps of the real soldiers. She as just a pretty face to be exploited by the human faction who wanted to turn John against machines. The fact the writers kill her shows the show isn't pulling punches. In any other shows she'd join the family and join John’s resistance in the present. In T:SCC she is killed off rather heartlessly and rather brutally when she figures out her entire role for the human faction was to DIE.

As far as being real boyfriend and girlfriend, I think they dealt with it correctly. When I was teen there was ‘always’ those girls you were trying to date/get with, but you just hung out with as a start. So much of socialize as a teen with the opposite sex IS about hanging out. John is the WORST at letting people close to him and it not like he knows even how to have a girlfriend. So what they did with Riley is likely the most realistic portrayal of a relationship John Connor will ever frakking have if you think about it.
Monkeyking1969
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parsnip1981 wrote:
Yes, I felt that was a bit stupid as well. I also think the show has struggled ever since Cromartie became the voice of the computer and not an actual physical threatening presence.

It all seems a bit too easy for them at the moment.

I can’t agree from one point of view. The Cromartie story from season one and half of two was all chase. But how could the writers have the show rely on a T-888 chasing and the Connors running. This isn't The Hulk from 1970, you can't have David Banner running from town to two each week. They needed to change up what was happing, so Cromartie had to get slowed down in order to talk about other things.

Keeping Cromartie in the show by making him John Henry works. But it works on a few levels because we have NO CLUE what John Henry’s role is in the present. We actually have no clue what the T-1001 Catherine Weaver is up to really. Is she trying to make Skynet? Is she trying to supplant Skynet? Is she even there because future John sent her to the present?

That is what I like about the show: Humanity has factions, the machines have factions, and that mean the political, social, and warscape of the future isn’t just man vs. machine. It is all these very smart flesh and machine minds trying to gain an upper hand... or maybe a livable status quo.
jwj170104
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think the past few shows have started to improve.

I just want to see more consistency in the story. Are they trying to stop Skynet and/or are they trying to prepare John Connor for his future role?
I'm happy with either story line. I just sometimes don't know where they are trying to go.

Jesse Jackson
Monkeyking1969
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwj170104 wrote:
I do think the past few shows have started to improve.

I just want to see more consistency in the story. Are they trying to stop Skynet and/or are they trying to prepare John Connor for his future role?
I'm happy with either story line. I just sometimes don't know where they are trying to go.

Last Friday's show I felt was great. The part where John talks with the faction leader and tells her he uses machines because HUMAN life is too precious to him was well played. The writers of the show sat down and figured out a damn compelling reason for John sending machines back that I never thought of before.

The last show was the first time John was in control. I think you will see taht more and more as the show goes on. I also think, and this is just my theory, that John Henry will escape and the roles will reverse. The Connor's will not run from Chromarti/John Henry, they will chase him down before the T-1001 can find him..
brian
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took half the summer but I finally caught up on this show. Although I should say, I "finished" the show, because, sadly, it is over.

Wow. I never would have thought at the beginning of Season Two with the appearance of the liquid Terminator, which I thought was a shark-jumping turn, that they would pull out such a great story.

Even in the middle, I was dubious about the direction. I hated that Riley was from the future. It seemed like a device used all-too often: you've seen it in Dollhouse, even BSG--the nice familiar character who ISN'T WHO YOU THINK S/HE IS! Not another agent from the future, I thought.

But then, the narrative played out. Like Monkeyking said earlier in the thread, when you find out exactly who she was, and why she was being used, it became a powerful storyline.

And then the Weaver character. Again, after a while you begin to wonder what its motivations are.

Once John Henry's "brother" came into the picture, the show had achieved that great moment where it dawns on you quite emphatically that there is so much more going on than you thought. That is the elusive narrative transcendence that so few shows/novels/stories achieve. It's rare. Some shows never even try to get there (CSI for example). Some try to get there, and their attempt to do so is so transparently obvious. But sometimes it works, and that "a-ha" moment, when it happens, is golden.

But now the show is done. It ended somewhat with a conclusion, but there are still so many questions.

There are several things to discuss. I'd really like to devote a podcast to this. Anyone that wants to join, let me know.
jwj170104
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 2nd season was inconsistent at best. Maybe if I watched them all in a row during a short period of time, I might feel different. The final episode made me mad. I think this is one of the dumbest ways ever to end a show (and they had to know that there was a good chance they weren't going to be renewed).

Yes, I would love a podcast talking about the show!

Jesse Jackson
brian
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can blame them for the ending. Not knowing the fate of the series, they had few options. You don't write an ending that wraps up everything only to be renewed next season.

I can imagine that plotting out storylines with that kind of uncertainty must be extremely frustrating. That's no way to do storytelling when you're forced to reveal plot elements sooner than you intended. It's hard enough to do in even the best of situations. RDM had full control of when he was going to end BSG and they still had several episodes towards the end that seemed to be treading water and leaking momentum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Galactica Quorum Message Board Index -> Terminator All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: